In my last post, I explored the core themes surrounding Rousseau's ideals. The seminar this week continued in that vain, and initially, my views on him seemed to be veering in the same direction, largely unchanged. Essentially, how can mankind live by Rousseau's social contract, in a state of nature, when it is actually human nature to want a leader amongst us, to guide us in the 'right' direction?
However, the discussion, for me, took a new turn when we began to think about the difference between 'freedom' and 'liberty'. For although similar in definition, there is a subtle difference. I would define freedom as the absolute right of a person to do what they want, when they want, without consequence for themselves, (or indeed for anyone else, if I look at it in a slightly more idealistic way). The difference comes when I define a liberty as only a particular right within society.
For example, I have the liberty within our own society to go to the shop at whatever time of day I choose fit. However, I am not free to take a loaf of bread without paying for it - that is not my liberty. Therefore, freedom may be seen as a web of liberties, without boundaries.
Liberties are also dependent upon society and even generation. Currently in the UK, weblogging is perfectly legal, (and hopefully always will be), whereas Nazi Germany refrained its people from voicing public opinions. This is an extreme example, but still illustrates my point of view.
These considerations led me to wonder; was Rousseau simply a poor communicator? When he described a world of total freedom, was he merely emphasising the need for a democracy; for certain liberties? Perhaps he simply wished to see society exist more happily; to repair itself after the blood shed of the Civil War.
Perhaps. Such assertions may be a little far-fetched and the fact remains that Rousseau still wanted to 'force' others to share his view. Perhaps we'll never know what he really wanted the world to be like, but it seems that he was not willing to accept any other world.
Nevertheless, it may be something to bare in mind when discussing Rousseau's mentality...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment