Monday, October 12, 2009

Late Comer!

Hi guys!

This is a bit of a late blog, considering it concerns last weeks seminar discussions, but I thought I'd just give a brief account of my thoughts.

Firstly, of the philosophers that I found most interesting to read about, I'd have to say that More's idea of a utopian island was a great read, albeit somewhat mad. The basis around which he formulated his idea is, I believe, understandable. A society that emphasises equality can be no bad thing, but to the extent that communism (and indeed More himself) suggests, it would simply make life monotonous and mundane. You would be stripped of your very identity.

I thought that Bacon's more open and scientific approach to philosophy was an admirable, if not brave one, as of course religion was still very much a prominent aspect of society during the late sixteenth century. Having said that, his idea for man to become 'masters of the universe' may be said to be slightly ambitious...

As I said during the seminar, I think that religion has slowly become more and more detached from philosophy, as science has advanced. For this, we have, for the most part, Newton's work in the seventeenth century to thank. But then there is no reason why both religion and science can't each have an outlook on the shaping of philosophy in the future.

Again, sorry for the late blog. I'll post something far more substantial in the coming days...

No comments:

Post a Comment